Monday, December 2, 2019

Advent

I forgot. Of course I forgot. I always forget! It's a little ridiculous really. 

I've learned by now, that if I don't write it down, I will forget it. No matter what it is. I mean, most people who take the time to look at my notes for something, either on the calendar or for a service or program, think I’m a bit insane. I have to write everything down, every detail, or I'll blow right past it in the moment. 

Now before I forget where I'm going with this, I'll tell you what I forgot. I forgot to light the candle. The Advent candle. I didn't write it down, so I forgot. This past Sunday morning as we were talking about starting the Advent season, I did all the explaining, scripture reading, and songs. And I forgot to light the candle.  

Really, it’s fitting that I would forget something when talking about Advent. It is in times of long waiting when it seems especially easy to forget things. When I have something important that isn’t coming up for a while, I have to make pretty extensive notes so that I can pick up on it when it comes. It’s easy to get sidetracked and forgetful when waiting. 

And waiting is what Advent is all about. 


This season of Advent, much like the Christmas Season, has been captured by our consumer mindset. If we have replaced tiny baby Jesus in the manger with Santa’s bag of toys, then it only makes sense that Advent is no longer longing for the baby, but embracing the goodies. Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with the cutesy little Advent calendars that mark the days until Christmas (I’m super stoked for mine and Robert’s Advent Lego Harry Potter Calendar!), but it is a shame when we get so busy worried about all the hustle and bustle of Christmas that we forget to wait. 

In Advent, we observe Israel’s longing for a Savior, the Messiah. As we do so, we are meant to lean into our longing and waiting. Not that we are waiting for the Messiah—He already came—but we are waiting for His return. It is certainly ironic that a season that is meant to remind us that all is not yet well has been consumed by an incessant need to be merry and bright. The “Christmas" season which has replaced Advent has become all about being cozy and comfortable, when it should be doing the opposite—stirring in us a longing for more, reminding us that all is not yet well, driving us to our knees before the baby Jesus who is now the Cosmic King!

We need to observe this season because it’s so very easy to forget during times of waiting. And waiting is what this thing we call Christianity is really all about. We are waiting because our King who saved us is coming back to put everything to rights. 

So during this Advent season, don’t fall for the ploys. Don’t buy into the marketing strategy that says if you just get the right gifts, wear the right sweater, see the right people, and go to the right Christmas Eve service that all will be well. By all means, enjoy those things! Just not as an end in themselves.


Get into the habit of waiting, of longing. Because if we are not longing for Jesus’ return, then it’s quite possible that we don’t actually want what He is bringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment